Re: Paper Negatives

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 09/05/02-04:14:39 AM Z

ARTHURWG@aol.com wrote:

> I want to make some 11x14 paper negatives using single-weight B&W printing
> paper. What paper should I use? How would I calculate exposure? Arthur

I used to use a Kodak single-weight fiber paper called Kodak Polymax
Fiber that was good for paper negatives (nothing printed on the back);
it has since been rolled into Kodak Professional Polymax Fine Art Paper
and is now available only in 8x10 and 8 1/2 x11, and the latter only in
a 250 sheet box. At the time of the change I hunted for other single
weight papers and was unable to find any; if I missed something that's
available I'd be happy to know about it.

Another thing to know about single weight paper, if you haven't used it
before, is that it's tricky to keep it flat in the chemicals if you go
bigger than 8x10.

As to peeling RC paper, there are always people saying that it's simple
to do, and I've followed all the "simple" instructions and never got a
clean peel. Is it possible that different brands have different
ease-of-peeling indexes? I use mainly Ilford papers.

Good luck,
Katharine Thayer