Re: Paper Negatives

From: Jack Fulton (jefulton1@attbi.com)
Date: 09/06/02-07:26:59 AM Z

> As to peeling RC paper, there are always people saying that it's simple
> to do, and I've followed all the "simple" instructions and never got a
> clean peel. Is it possible that different brands have different
> ease-of-peeling indexes? I use mainly Ilford papers.

  The 'trick' w/peeling RC emulsions from the fiber base is this:

1. Place print in water warmer than your hand but not as hot as to
    have your hand ache . . about 115 - 120º F

2. Allow to sit under water for a minute

3. While still under water, rub your forefinger on the corner of the
    RC print. Keep the print flat on the tray while doing this. A tiny
    bit of the edge will start to show. You may have to press hard with
    your finger while rubbing. Rub in only one direction: in from the
    corner.

4. When there is enough of the emulsion pulled away from the paper
    you can pinch it between your forefinger and thumb. You may have to
    use your fingernails to obtain this much. If your fingernails are too
    long or are virtually not there it makes this more difficult but a
    pair of tweezers might help.
    Anyway, grab the emulsion with your thumb and forefinger and with the
    thumb of your other hand press down the fiber portion of the layers hard
    on the tray. OR grab the fiber portion w/the thumb and forefinger of
    your other hand. Slowly peel or pull apart.

5. It greatly aids to this under the warm to hot water. Do the peeling
    with a slow and steady motion.

Voila . . . peeled RC emulsion. However, this is a rather flimsy bit of
material and quite difficult to use as a negative IMO. It is arduous if not
impossible to have it lay flat enough to hold good detail throughout your
image. The paper negative is far better. In fact, I just use the RC print
directly and have had zero problems seeing any identifying marks of the
manufacturer.

Also, don't forget, one can easily create a negative print directly via the
reversal process and, again, voila, there you have an RC paper negative.
Jack