Dumb question about chemistry

From: Nash Computer Technology (nashcom@btinternet.com)
Date: 09/05/02-01:20:15 PM Z

I've just been daydreaming, and got to wondering about whether it's possible to make a
coloured platinum print. I suppose this is because I can succesfully (debatable!)
produce ziatypes, and my one attempt at making a tri-colour gum bichromate print
ended in failure - I really must make time to have another bash.

I'm 'thinking' aloud here, but if the developed and cleared ziatype print is made up of
differing densities of deposited platinum/palladium, then if it were possible to change
the colour of the actual platinum/palladium before making the chemical solutions (to
each of CMY process colours), the final print would be of varying intensities of that
colour. Is this crazy?

Does adding chemicals such as sodium tungstate for a 'warmer' tone print actually
'colour' the platinum/palladium 'grains' (if that's the correct term), or does it do
something different? Thinking about coloured metals, apart from spraying/painting,
which only coats the exposed surface, I can only think of anodizing as a method of
changing their colour. I don't know how this works - is it electrolysis (or is that a method
of hair removal? !), and if so can it be carried on platinum/palladium, and would it cause
each particle of these metals to change colour?

If you've managed to read this far, then 'thanks'. As you've probably guessed, I wasn't
interested in chemistry at school. I'm pretty good at making a fool of myself, though....