Re: "CALENDAR ARTIST"?

From: Henry Rattle (henry.rattle@ntlworld.com)
Date: 09/06/02-08:50:04 AM Z

Just for what it is worth, I really enjoyed the "Adams at 100" exhibition
which is presently on in London. There is pleasure in looking at objects of
the very highest craft, and in my view you can't separate the craft from
what the pictures are "of", especially when it takes full tonal range and
incredible sharpness to convey the reality of the mountains, at least as he
saw it.

I'm also grateful to Adams for providing a codified way to understand and
control exposure and development, and for introducing me (via, in
particular, 'The New Zone System Handbook' which was co-authored by Minor
White) to the notion that I could take control of these processes in a way
that would contribute to the expressiveness of a print. For me that was a
revelation.

Finally (back on topic) you could also argue that, if it hadn't been for the
fifty-year dominance of the "straight" photography championed by Adams,
Weston, Cunningham, f/64 et al., - what we do on this list wouldn't be
"alternative" at all!

Best wishes

Henry