Re: "CALENDAR ARTIST"

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 09/06/02-06:52:30 PM Z

On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Pam Niedermayer wrote:

> Why set up straw arguments? I said stop reproducing, not helping those
> who are already here. In fact, the richer and healthier people get the
> fewer children they have. That said, you can see the problem beginning
> to manifest itself clearly. Look how fast West Nile virus is spreading.
> Look at what happens with meningitis in dorms. Look at aids in Africa.
> You need more hints?

Pam, it's called disassociation I think -- refusal to connect the dots.

I'm always amazed that folks manage to wring their hands about the state
of the world, famine, rampage, loss of resources, and so forth, without a
mention of population. I'm always amazed that our sanctimonious
government, men who have never missed a meal, and probably use more water
in their swimming pools, lawns & jacuzzis, than an entire Chinese town,
manage to wax so wroth about supposed "forced abortion" in China.
Whether or not that exists, surely it's more humane than widespread famine
-- as was common in early 20th century, & is on the horizon in many places
now. So our government in its wisdom refuses family planning info to the
world ("gag rule" was first act of Bush 2) and then tells starving people,
um,... whatever.

Countries waging or threatening or rampaging these days mostly have very
large "waste populations." War has always been a rough and ready kind of
population control. Half the population of Saudi Arabia is under 20 years
old. Ditto Pakistan,among others. True, the US uses far more resources per
capita, but imagine those countries rising out of poverty & doing the
same.

Which is to say, US government, in this as in so many other respects, is
trying to square the circle.

J.