RE: "CALENDAR ARTIST"

From: Keith Gerling (keithgerling@att.net)
Date: 09/07/02-06:22:10 AM Z

"Preachy wide-open space types?" ME? So, is everything west of the Hudson a
"wide-open space", and the inhabitants "wide-open space *types*?"
Puhleeeeze. And PREACHY? Look whose talking. Really, Judy, you ought to
drop this silly us (NY-ers) agin' them (the rest of 'em) attitude.
Particularly regarding environmental responsibility. Your New York
chauvinism is kind of touching - even though you use it like a club to beat
the rest of us, or in this case ME - for having the temerity to suggest that
Ansel Adams might have made successful revelations. Yes, your statistics
are true. Well, *mostly* true: NYers use less fossil fuel per capita (much
less? I don't see it) mostly as a result of the transportation sector, as
you suggest, and for being low-ranking amongst the states for industry. For
residential energy use, NY is pretty much the same as other states, and
scores lowers than California. But I wouldn't wear the stats as a merit
badge, because its not like these stats were earned by means of any
conscious effort. I know NY. I've had to open the windows in an apartment
in Hells Kitchen in the dead of winter many many times because there was no
way to cut off that steam heat. This, while the family shivered responsibly
in Illinois. I've spent considerable time and money in order to maximize
my energy conservation, and I resent your notions. I drive no SUV. I use
solar power and I sweat considerably cutting and splitting wood for the
fireplace, so it really ticks me off to have you place me in a category of
some energy glutton.

Look, my "tree-hugging" comment was made as a lighthearted side-note to my
comments regarding Ansel Adams. I suppose I should expect your ridicule,
having questioned your assertion that we ALL somehow KNOW that "nature is
grand". But we don't. We have no innate understanding of the glories of
nature, and why should we? Perhaps you are personally familiar with the
places where AA photographed, but most people aren't. His works have opened
many eyes in more ways than one, and it is reasonable to suggest that his
works might have value, even *artistic* value for centuries to come.

Keith