RE: "CALENDAR ARTIST"

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 09/06/02-06:09:37 PM Z

On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, Keith Gerling wrote:

> Judy sez:
>
> "There may be mastery, beauty, et al, in Adams, but no revelation. We KNOW
> nature is grand."
>
> Oh we do? Is that a universal truth? Hardly. Many (perhaps most) would
> gladly forfeit the "grandness" in return for monetary rewards. Adams
> revelations were elementary: he revealed that these places even EXISTED.
> The Hetch Hetchy valley was destroyed and will never be seen again. Why?
> Because it happened before people like Adams could "reveal" it to us.
>
> Keith (in a particularly tree-hugging mood)

What has tree hugging got to do with it? Let us not confuse USEFUL, even
vitally important, with CREATIVE, or "art."

In fact, I could make the argument that the highest art has no practical
value at all except its own sweet self. It is its own justification,
broadening our minds, adding to our graphic consciousness, expanding our
vision, or just existing in the world. What earthly **use** is [name your
masterpiece]...???? In fact art with a USE is (by definition, I bet)
propaganda.

Nyah nyah,

Judy, who is also in a tree-hugging mood, having just finished Barbara
Kingsolver's "Prodigal Summer" on tape in the studio, but reminding you
preachy wide-open space types that denizens of NYC use less (much less)
fossil fuel per capita than you folks who have to drive 5 miles (even NOT
in an SUV) to get a newspaper or a quart of milk, as we not only have mass
transit, but the corner deli, and that our architecture -- row houses and
other forms of massed dwellings -- use far less fuel to heat than your
freestanding buildings of one or two stories, unless you have solar
everything, which would of course be lovely.

So save the environment by moving to a city.

J..