Re: CMYK Gum Prints and Color Gamut

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 09/08/02-02:30:00 AM Z

Hi Steve and Joe,
It seems to me Joe's question goes beyond what's in James, or available
anywhere as far as I know. (BTW, James' instructions seem rather odd to
me. Print out two of each separation and tape them together for extra
density? That seems a rather primitive method.)

If you'll look in the archives, back in, say, 1999, you'll find a
spirited argument on this topic. At the time, I argued that since the
Photoshop CMYK space was developed to optimize commercial printing
processes-- commercial inks, commercial paper, commercial printing
presses--it didn't make sense to me to assume it was the best CMYK
space for the gum process, and I said, half in jest, that someone should
develop an ICC profile for gum. I got the feeling that no one had a clue
what I was talking about. (When I printed color I worked in tricolor not
CMYK so I had no interest in developing such a profile myself.)

Since then, of course, the level of knowledge about photoshop and
digital printing of negatives has increased around here exponentially,
and several people have worked on curves for gum, but I haven't heard
that any of them has developed a CMYK profile for color separations for
gum. If I'm wrong, I'll be happy to be corrected.

Katharine Thayer