Re: acids

From: Eric Nelson (emanmb@yahoo.com)
Date: 09/09/02-03:14:56 PM Z

If the formula call for nitric or sulfuric then it
needs it as acetic won't replace it, as in titration
analysis of one's silvering solution for abulmen/salt
prints. Nitric is called for and is the only way to
do that.
Can't give you the scientific reasons why...it just
does! =)
If you gotta have it, buy as little as possible. I
got reagent grade nitric long ago and so rarely used
it that the fumes ate away the cap and I had to decant
it into another acid container.
Also, NEVER add water to one of these acids, ONLY add
the acid to water. It can really splatter if you add
water to the acid.
Eric

--- "Christina Z. Anderson" <zphoto@montana.net>