Re: acids

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 09/09/02-03:01:51 PM Z

Thanks, Jack. I asked the question because it seems quite a few of the old
formulae I am looking at from the early part of this century call for nitric
acid, so my question probably is moreso is glacial acetic a strong enough
acid to substitute...in other words, would glacial acetic be like using a
hammer and nitric like using a nuclear bomb, you know? As in, totally
unnecessary today?
     I know a lot of the old books have mercury formulae also, so I am
assuming they were not as aware of the dangers of chems at that time.
chris