Re: Gum bichromate and photographing the nude, was Re: "CALENDAR ARTIST"

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 09/10/02-08:51:01 AM Z

Kerik wrote:

> Mark,
>
> You might want to try Fabriano Uno Hot Press. Works beautifully for gum
> (as well as gum over platinum). And there's no reason a well-made
> digital neg won't give you all the sharpness and detail you need. Are
> you making inkjet or imagesetter digital negs?

I seem to be getting these in a kind of random order, and someone else
has already suggested the same paper.

Sandy's right; sharpness is a relative term, and I should probably
clarify that my old Photo EX prints negatives that make gum prints as
sharp, detailed and subtle in tonal shading as I want, although whether
Sandy would find them as sharp as he wanted would be for him to say. I
was simply remarking on the difference between these prints and a direct
contact print on gum from an in-camera 4x5 negative. The difference
isn't remarkable, but it's noticeable.
kt