Re: Stuart Melvin Website (beta)

From: Richard Sullivan (richsul@earthlink.net)
Date: 09/14/02-11:39:45 AM Z

I'd also like to add that the images are unlike anything else in the
photographic world. I suspect the uncanny look is due to the fact that
there are usually 12 or more coats, and though there is superb
registration, the image layers interact with each other causing a
"vibrating" visual sensation due to refraction between the layers that
makes the prints seem to glow. The do not look like Cibachromes or inkjet
prints on glossy paper. You have to see the real McCoy to understand.

Stu has shown them at Platypus and a number of receptions at our place
where very knowledgeable photographic people were in attendance and the
almost unanimous response was OHMYGOSH!

Stuart has worked on the process full time for several years now and will
be teaching workshops. I would warn folks that patience is the prime factor
as he takes better than a week to make one image. I suspect he could do two
at a time or even more but it is still quite time consuming.

His partner in crime is Stan Klimek www.stanklimek.com who is also a
stupendous gum printer. The cover image on his web site is a full tilt 100%
gum print as well. Both Stu and Stan worked together and shared information
on gum printing.

--Dick Sullivan