RE: MODERN AMBROTYPES & THE WEB

From: Pamela Buck (pgbuck@msn.com)
Date: 09/14/02-10:31:37 AM Z

I took a one-day ambrotype workshop with John Mann (he's in New Mexico,
the workshop was in Phoenix) about a year ago. His version of the
process used a spray-on acrylic instead of collodian and a liquid
emulsion. The process was problematic even for him and the results
weren't great (though his personal work was much better, and it was only
a one-day introduction).

Fashion photographer Robert Maxwell uses ambrotypes. None of those are
on the web that I'm aware of, but here are some platinum prints made
with digital negs of the original ambrotypes:
http://www.rectoversoeditions.com/maxwell.html (warning: naked ladies!)

Process links:
http://www.samk.demon.co.uk/results.html
http://membres.lycos.fr/aprosio/TECambr.htm#ambro (there's a
downloadable Word document on this site that compares his results using
different formulae).

Best of luck; I hope you're able to make this stunning process work for
you.

Pamela