photo/public spaces

Argon3@aol.com
Date: 09/17/02-11:56:09 AM Z

This is a real bind for some of us.

The African-American gentleman who filed suit against the NY Times was, I
seem to remember, named Arrington and the case "Arrington vs. The Newe York
Times" was a real attention getter. Although I usually do architectural
shooting, I became very conscious of whether or not there were any
recognizable people in any of my shots for a long time. I was once contacted
by the operator of a construction crane who wanted to get a copy of a print
used for a cover because he figured that he and his crane were in the
background of it. Anyway, there has been a lot written about "Arrington..."
but this was a few years before the internet so I don't know how much related
info might be out there.

Pity us Chicagoans...our Federal Building is a very good and distinctive Mies
Van der Rohe design and it has a bright orange Alexander Calder sculpture in
its plaza. It's one of my favorite subjects in town but I have second
thoughts about shooting anywhere near it given the recent political climate.
I suppose that it might not occur to the Brain Police that a "spy" wouldn't
make himself conspicuous by setting up a 4X5 on a tripod and going through
all of the necessary camera adjustments...he'd just pull out a
point-and-shoot and pop off a few frames.

Even before this there has been a trend for some of the building owners to
try to declare the building "intellectual property" and limit the use of its
likeness.

Argon