Re: SAFER: MODERN AMBROTYPES & THE WEB (Gasssssssp!)

From: Jack Fulton (jefulton1@attbi.com)
Date: 09/19/02-07:37:49 AM Z

I have to laugh to myself when I read posts like this one, where an ³expert²
is giving advise to experienced practitioners of a particular process. Yes
the combination of acid and cyanide will result in a deadly gas, but any
practitioner of wet collodion photography already knows this. Sort of like
telling someone that is used to handling firearms not to look into the
muzzle of a gun and pull the trigger to see if itıs loaded.

>>>Mike . . ya gotta realize that on this list all are not 'experts' You can lay
in your languor, perhaps, with your presumed 'knowledge' but another, who
may be excited by the process could go out and wreak havoc. I feel the
caution is well warranted. You also provide an analogy regarding a gun . .
there are a few thousand per annum killed by guns just in our country. All
who own/employ a gun know what it can do. You are right in that the syntax
is perhaps overwrought but you possibly 'scared' them enough. Life is,
indeed, a stage.

I would think that someone contemplating the wet-plate process would be
doing some basic research as to the potential hazards of the chemicals
involved and then would, at that point, become aware of what theyıre dealing
with. Thereıs no need to sensationalize the facts with phases such as, ³For
Godıs sake (as well as your own!!)² Sounds like good theater, not good
sense.

Mike Steinle