Re: SAFER: MODERN AMBROTYPES & THE WEB (Gasssssssp!)

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 09/19/02-11:57:14 PM Z

On Thu, 19 Sep 2002, MICHAEL STEINLE wrote:

> Hi Judy,
> I think the "for Gods sake" part is what made me comment on this topic the
> way I did. I've seen many off the wall debates on this list over the last
> few years and I refused to get sucked in, but because this is a wet-plate
> subject, and really the only method that I can comment on with some
> experience, I couldn't help myself. I should have treated this as I do all
> lectures from those that feel they're qualified to preach to others about
> safety, what is art, morality, how should one teach or be taught, and all
> the other stuff that I normally delete without reading. What it comes down
> to for me is that I hate being talked down to by anyone, and most of all by
> someone that knows less about the subject than I do. Well, now I can't claim
> that I don't get caught up in frivolous debates on this list anymore. It
> looks like I'm actually generating one. Who would have thunk it!
> Regards, Mike Steinle>

Hi Mike,

About 5 years before the flood, I had the good fortune to stumble into a
course with Bergan Evans at Northwestern University. I was right out of
highschool & too determined to party to do the course justice, but one
thing he taught so brilliantly stayed with me and I probably think of it
once a week -- that is, how you say something is more important than what
you say. He acted out the difference between the lout wailing "but i
loooove her," and the lovelorn swain in Shakespeare. In this instance, I'd
hazard that both you and your sneeree erred in the "how," rather than the
what.

Still, I wonder, what makes you so down on "frivolous debate." That's the
only kind that's a simple good time, and the only kind one can win... Also
free & non-fattening.

J.