Re: SAFER: MODERN AMBROTYPES & THE WEB (Gasssssssp!)

From: MICHAEL STEINLE (mikad@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 09/19/02-04:16:32 PM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "Judy Seigel" <jseigel@panix.com>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca>
Sent: Thursday, September 19, 2002 4:51 PM
Subject: Re: SAFER: MODERN AMBROTYPES & THE WEB (Gasssssssp!)

> I have to laugh to myself when I read posts like this one, where an
³expert²
> is giving advise to experienced practitioners of a particular process. Yes

Actually, you didn't "laugh to yourself," you laughed to the list. Will
the person thus ridiculed continue to contribute? While the rest of your
message is useful (at least I found it interesting), I bet I wasn't the
only one found it diminished by the sneer.

You laugh at the "expert" giving "advise" [sic] to " experienced
practioners." Which wasn't the context or intent. But, anyway, if we were
all "experienced practitioners" in everything, why would we be here?
Just to flaunt our expertise?

J.

> the combination of acid and cyanide will result in a deadly gas, but any
> practitioner of wet collodion photography already knows this. Sort of like
> telling someone that is used to handling firearms not to look into the
> muzzle of a gun and pull the trigger to see if it¹s loaded.

etc.

Hi Judy,
I think the "for Gods sake" part is what made me comment on this topic the
way I did. I've seen many off the wall debates on this list over the last
few years and I refused to get sucked in, but because this is a wet-plate
subject, and really the only method that I can comment on with some
experience, I couldn't help myself. I should have treated this as I do all
lectures from those that feel they're qualified to preach to others about
safety, what is art, morality, how should one teach or be taught, and all
the other stuff that I normally delete without reading. What it comes down
to for me is that I hate being talked down to by anyone, and most of all by
someone that knows less about the subject than I do. Well, now I can't claim
that I don't get caught up in frivolous debates on this list anymore. It
looks like I'm actually generating one. Who would have thunk it!
Regards, Mike Steinle