Re: chemistry questions

PhotonTom@aol.com
Date: 09/20/02-11:48:13 AM Z

In a message dated 9/20/2002 10:04:07 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
zphoto@montana.net writes:

> Are potassium citrate and sodium citrate interchangeable?
> Are ammonium, potassium, and sodium thiocyanate interchangeable?

Some IMHO's:
I would say, in general, that most potassium and sodium compounds with the
same anion (citrate, etc) would be interchangeable, but you must adjust the
formula for the proportionate difference in the molecular weights of the
compounds.

Ammonium salts will be a different story as the ammonium cation will interact
with water and yield a solution with differing pH than a similar compound
with a potassium or sodium cation. Whether the pH is an issue or not one
must [or should I say should, least we be lecturing to one another ;-) ]
make adjustments for differing molecular weights.

Cheers,
     Tom Crowe
     Thomas Crowe Studios-Photographic Arts
     "Lost in East Tennessee" (Yearning for a Southern California return)