Re: digital question (Dan's opinion of the 2200)

FDanB@aol.com
Date: 09/20/02-09:55:23 PM Z

Joe said in his message...

>Mr. Burkholder, I know that you have advocated the 1280, and I realize
>that the 2200 is VERY new, but what do you think about buying the 2200
>and passing on the 1280 for making digital negs for alt work?

Please, call me Dan, even though I just got my first senior citizen movie
ticket (unrequested) a couple weeks ago (damn). On the other hand, I just
returned from a wonderful full moon motorcycle ride and feel reassured
that my days of spirited activity are abundant. ;^)

Also note that I don't "advocate" anything except what works. There are
probably lots of printers out there that can make terrific negs (lord
knows I'm not gonna test them); it just so happens that the 1280 is a
fairly popular machine that makes stunning prints (albeit, not 80-year
archival pigment prints) and doubles as a very competent negative maker.

About the Epson 2200: that's a tough call. The 2200 looks like a very
nice print making machine. It'd be terrific if it also worked well for
negatives but...I just had an email from someone who says the inks don't
adhere at all to the Pictorico OHP. Though this person sounded like he
knew what he was doing, I'm not entirely convinced that the printer
should be ruled out for negs. Maybe this person had the Pictorico loaded
with the gelatin-coated side facing the wrong way or made some other
mistake.

Perhaps there are some generous people on this list with new 2200s who
can test and let us all know!

Dan

- Albert Einstein

"Knowledge in moderation ain't bad either."
- Dan Burkholder