Re: Pyro Schmyro

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 09/22/02-08:31:38 AM Z

Jeff Buckels wrote:

>I tried something like this inquiry a month or so ago and got no
>response. Perhaps on this occasion some of the more indulgent
>members of the list are checking their email:
>
>Let's say that I don't give a flying flip (note the
>carefully-crafted euphemisms, Gordon) how my negatives would work
>for silver printing (hence, I don't care whether my negatives will
>work both for silver and pt/pd)..... In that case, what is the
>justification for bothering with pyro? Assume as well that I reject
>the Great Separation in the High Values justification (Dick Arentz
>seems to reject it; surely I know no better than he) and that, while
>I appreciate the economy of pyro, I doubt that the economy alone
>offsets the disadvantages of pyro. So, there then -- Why use pyro?
>
>Jeff Buckels

I resisted comment the first time around on your inquiry because
threads on pyro tend to become something of a quagmire. Some
attribute almost magical qualities to pyro developers while others
are perfectly satisfied with the results they get with the
traditional developers they have used since they first started doing
photography and apparently see no need to change. Nothing, and I
repeat *nothing* we say here is going to change any of that for
these people. However, I am curious as to what you see as the
disadvantages of pyro? As someone who uses both traditional and pyro
developers I have some thoughts of my own on this, but wanted to
first see what you, or others, perceive as real disadvantages with
pyro.

Sandy King