Ethical issues of street photography—long, perhaps boring response

Ender100@aol.com
Date: 09/22/02-04:52:15 PM Z

Ooooops hit the wrong button there sorry bout that...

Where was I?

Anyway my own experience with Street Photography and Environmental
Portraits—and I am only talking about how I view it for myself and my own
values. Others have their own reasons and values and that is fine.

I probably would not photograph people JUST because they are poor or look
different, even though the photograph might be one that would be interesting
or sell. I have had the opportunity to do this and found I couldn't press
the shutter. However, I don't think that means that I should not photograph
people who look different or are in a different socio-economic group. Part
of it, I guess, has to do with my own mindset regarding "these people" and
my own personal growth. It is getting beyond what someone looks like or
their life situation and recognizing that this is another human being with a
different way of life and their own sense of self worth and dignity. What it
takes for me, I guess, is getting to know that person a bit, talking to them,
understanding them and seeing how the world looks through their eyes. What
are this person's hopes and dreams? What do they take pride in? If I took a
photograph, what would it tell the viewer about this person and their life?
Would any of us be better off for having done so?

Now I know this means I must invest some time before I can ask to take a
photograph. But what a wonderful way to spend my time, getting to know and
see another person and their way of life! What a thrill to hand them a print
and watch as they evalutate what you decided to photograph and what you chose
to "see". But perhaps just as much of a good feeling to know that this
person has trusted you enough to let them photograph you.

Someone mentioned Shelby Lee Adams. I had the fortune to have lunch with him
last year in Chicago. What a delightful person to talk to. He brought up
the issue of exploitation, since he has had to face that question a lot. He
comes from the area where he photographs and he knows the people well. He
has photographed some of them for years. He has documented a way of life.
He respects the people he photographs and is interested in how they live. If
they didn't feel he respected them I can assure you that they would not allow
him to take more photographs. However, others may see his work differently.

He can tell you a lot of stories about the clash of cultures with
"outsiders." One was of a church group that wanted to "help" the widow.
They wanted to paint her house. She didn't want her house painted and
couldn't figure out why they insisted on doing so. What she wanted was for
them to help fix the huge hole in her living room floor. But no, they had to
paint the house. When they were done, she figured out why. They took a
picture of the church members all standing smiling in front of the freshly
painted house—a shot for their next religious promotion—while she sat inside
staring at the hole in the living room floor.

Mark Nelson
former Pyro Maniac