Re: Magnetic influence on film

From: Robert W. Schramm (schrammrus@hotmail.com)
Date: 09/22/02-05:04:39 PM Z

John,

  The neon and flourescent lights are arcs i.e. streams of charged particles
and that constitute an electric current which, in turn, produces a magnetic
field that interacts with the magnet. Magnetic fields can cause very small
(emphasize SMALL) effects on light such as rotating the plane of
polarization of polarized light (Faraday Effect) and causing splitting of
spectral lines (Zeeman Effect). I know of no
effect which would cause an observable bending of light rays by magnetic
fields. Gravitational field cause the bending of light rays but you need a
very large field such as produced by a neutron star (too heavy to carry in a
camera bag ;-)) or a black hole.

Bob Schramm

>From: John Cremati <johnjohnc@core.com>
>To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
>Subject: Magnetic influence on film
>Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 12:31:58 -0400
>
>Does any one have any knowledge or expertise in the magnetic influence on
>the bending of light rays in photographic applications?... I know if you
>place a magnet next to a neon or florescent light or high voltage arc it
>will bend or distort the arc..I believe light rays from the sun is also
>mutated from the earths gravitation pull... Does this apply to
>conventional photography as well say if you place magnets surrounding film
>and then shooting the photo...?

Check out my web page at:

  http://www.SchrammStudio.com