Re: digital question (flaunt expertise, please...)

Ender100@aol.com
Date: 09/23/02-03:05:56 PM Z

Hi Judy,

If you are using Photoshop 7, then the transfer curve function is in the
Print With Preview Window.... In the lower left hand corner of the window,
click on MORE FUNCTIONS and you will see a selection box that probably shows
COLOR MANAGEMENT. Click on that and choose OUTPUT. Then you will see a
button on the lower left part of the window that says TRANSFER. Click on
that and you can enter the desired %'s you want... after you enter those, be
sure to click the SAVE button and save and name the values you entered. They
can be reloaded in the Transfer Screen window OR the CURVES window and
adjusted further if you like and saved under a different name.

If I remember this right, each step on the Stouffer's is .15 density. So, if
you are getting 5 steps, then you are maxing out at .75 density, or unable to
print anything beyone that density. You could just use a curve that sets
your maximum output negative density to .75 then? You would have to read the
steps on a printed steptablet negative with a densitometer to determine the
value for that.

Hope this helps,
Mark Nelson

In a message dated 9/23/02 4:27:05 PM, jseigel@panix.com writes:

<<
On Sun, 22 Sep 2002 Ender100@aol.com wrote:

> When you say you can get 5 steps now, is that 5 Stouffer steps? heheheh
> Seriously, if so, then that may tell you what your maximum useable density
is
> on the digital steptablet, if they are translateable. I am not sure yet
they
> are.

Yes, that's on the Stouffer. But I'm aiming for a "curve" with about 8
steps of same size, because I like a negative with some give in it, to
have room for subsequent coats, long soaks, etc. I've managed by
improvising to get a step tablet on the Epson with 8 steps both to the eye
and to the densitometer, tho I realize that's not necessarily going to be
the same by UV light.

If it is, then I gather I "transfer" those numbers to a curve -- tho I
don't like idea of counting on Epson printer dialog which is where it
seems you're supposed to do that. I want a freestanding curve to name,
file & load in Photoshop forevermore -- one less weak link, seems to me. >>