weird flare on film?

From: Shannon Stoney (sstoney@pdq.net)
Date: 09/24/02-01:43:55 PM Z

Today I was trying to print a negative that had some strange kind of
arc-shaped marks on it. At first I thought it was caused by the
glass of the printing frame, so I cleaned it again. But no, it is in
the negative, and not on the surface, but evidently part of the
image. Is it some sort of flare? On the print it looks as if
somebody took a white china marker and made semi-circular marks about
a half inch in length, somewhat concentric to each other.

--shannon