Re: Magnetic influence on film

From: Robert W. Schramm (schrammrus@hotmail.com)
Date: 09/25/02-10:05:44 AM Z

Hay Jack,

   Pretty cool. What you are collecting, I believe, is magnetite which if
often found in sandstone, out of which the beach sand was formed. It is a
naturally occuring product of nature. In the physics classroom we use iron
filings to show the magnetic field lines. I used to put magnets on an
overhead projector, put a piece of glass over them and sprinkle iron filings
on the glass. I never thought about photographing them. Now you have given
me some ideas.

I once asked a general science class what a bar magnet surrounded by iron
filings looked like to them. One student said it looked like a Hershey bar
someone left on the sidewalk that was attacked by ants.

Bob Schramm

>From: Jack Fulton <jefulton1@attbi.com>
>To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
>Subject: Re: Magnetic influence on film
>Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 18:29:01 -0700
>
>What I know about this might fit in a thimble . . and not one in a black
>hole where the Earth could . . . . but, if you could generate a magnetic
>field strong to affect the image on your film, your camera would not work
>due to the magnetic control over the materials.
>
>I do not know if this is what you are after at all . . but I've taken a
>'pretty strong magnet' and gone to a local beach near the Golden Gate
>Bridge
>on the ocean side. W/the magnet you can 'gather' lost of iron sand.
>Taking that home and laying it upon a sheet of glass, you can lay the
>magnetic underneath to create magnetic patterns. Carefully laid upon photo
>paper makes for a mighty lovely photogram
>Jack
> >> Does any one have any knowledge or expertise in the magnetic influence
>on
> >> the bending of light rays in photographic applications?... I know if
>you
> >> place a magnet next to a neon or florescent light or high voltage arc
>it
> >> will bend or distort the arc..I believe light rays from the sun is
>also
> >> mutated from the earths gravitation pull... Does this apply to
> >> conventional photography as well say if you place magnets surrounding
>film
> >> and then shooting the photo...?

Check out my web page at:

  http://www.SchrammStudio.com