Re: Was someone asking about printing daguerreotypes from film?

From: Robert W. Schramm (schrammrus@hotmail.com)
Date: 09/25/02-10:15:31 AM Z

Christopher,

     I viewed you image and like it very much. I do Hg developed dags.
I like very much to colors you are getting. Tell me how you lay the negative
on the fumed plate and get it back off without damaging the silver iodide
coating. Do you also put a piece of glass on to to hold the negative flat?
BTW I sometimes overexpose my plates which causes the highlights to ture
blue. One more question: are you using a negative or a positive? I ask
because transparency film will give you a positive, in fact, a color
positive.

Bob Schramm

>From: Christopher Lovenguth <chrisml@pacbell.net>
>To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
>Subject: Was someone asking about printing daguerreotypes from film?
>Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 18:24:37 -0700
>
>I think someone awhile back was asking about using a negative to make
>daguerreotypes. Well that is what I have been working on and I think I
>almost have it. I have been using transparency film, more specifically 4x5
>Fujichrome Provia 100F. I am using the Becquerel process for my
>daguerreotypes. I am just exposing and processing the 4x5 sheet film
>normally and then exposing the dag plate to a 500 watt blue tinted
>photoflood about 2ft off my printing frame for 45 seconds. That time is
>still producing overexposure with my plate fumed to the first magenta/blue
>color so I think the time is about 15-25 seconds. I am actually going to
>test raising the light bulb so that I can get a longer exposure, which
>might
>help with the whites blowing out and solarizing (which is that heavy brown
>area on my example). I am then developing with rubylith under indirect
>sunshine all day long (I'm putting it in my window and going to work).
>
>Here is the best one I have done yet which I just finished today with some
>gilding if you care to view:
>http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=1030102
>
>It is darker brown and higher contrast then the original since my scanner
>is
>really old and poor and this is the closest I could get it to the original
>in Photoshop (I really didn't want to spend much time on it since it is a
>test).
>
>I'm not finding any issues with damaging the plate with sandwiching the
>negative, granted my plates are never pristine to begin with. I bet over
>time my negative will deteriorate being pushed up against iodine but I plan
>to only use these as a sort of inter-neg anyways and once I get the image
>down I plan to destroy the film. I want the preciousness of the single
>daguerreotype. Anyway I hope that answers whomever's question that
>was. -Chris

Check out my web page at:

  http://www.SchrammStudio.com