Re: Was someone asking about printing daguerreotypes from film?

From: Christopher Lovenguth (zantzant@hotmail.com)
Date: 09/25/02-02:05:26 PM Z

I have recieved almost all my information (when not from someone on this
list) from a website called: www.newdags.com

This site explains all the different steps including gilding to make a
daguerreotype.

For me I'm still learning the gilding process. It either works or destroys
my plate. I think my problems come from the heating process. My image tends
to start disintegrating. I have gone to a reduced mixture of gold chloride
and that is helping. It is suppose to be a 5% mixture but I have reduced it
by half. So I have my 5% mixture and doubling it with water. Then I add the
same amount of sodium sulfite (I forget what the percentage is, I think it
is .5 oz to 500ml of water) solution. So 100ml of my reduced gold chloride
solution and 100ml of the sodium sulfite solution

BTW does anyone know the dangers in heating a gold chloride/sodium sulfite
mixture? The first time I did it I got a little woozy and have become afraid
of heating without all windows open and pretty much holding my breath when
I'm next to the pan it's heating in. Has anyone had that experience or was
that all in my head the first time it happened? -Chris