Re: demise of tri-x 8x10?

From: Kerik (Kerik@Kerik.com)
Date: 09/26/02-03:12:08 PM Z

Shannon,

If that's true, I'd suggest you give Ilford HP5+ a try. Processed in
Pyro-Schmyro it works very well for platinum and gum (and, presumably,
other alt-processes). If you use ABC+ Pyro (aka Rollo Pyro by B&S), you
should get nice contrasty negs WITHOUT the excessive base fog that can
be a problem with HP5+ in other developers. I've done side-by-side
tests with Tri-X and HP5+ and found that I get much better shadow detail
with HP5+.

I rate HP5+ at ASA 160 and process in Rollo Pyro at 20 parts A to 40
parts B to a liter of water (1:2:50) for 9 to 11 minutes at 70 degrees.
 This is for tray processing with nearly constant agitation. Also, I
don't do the post-fixer bath often recommended with Pyro. It just
produces excess stain (as Sandy has previously explained so well) and
negs that are slllooowww to print.

Hope that helps.

Kerik

ps I also encourage people to use Ilford products because I feel like
they are more likely to continue making films that are useful to people
like us for a lot longer than Kodak is. No facts to back that up, just
a gut feeling.