Re: Heat is Neat--Ceramic Heaters

PhotonTom@aol.com
Date: 09/26/02-05:46:34 PM Z

In a message dated 9/26/2002 4:25:08 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
pam@pinehill.com writes:

> I've had great success with the small ceramic blowers (one has lasted
> for about 12 years), don't know whether they're appropriate for a darkroom.

Most of my life has been in Southern California where cooling is more the
problem, but I went to East Tennessee several years ago and had a spare
upstairs kitchen as a darkroom..not connected to central air/heat. I, too
used ceramic heaters and found them quite fine and have also used the space
heaters (coil and fan)...depending upon the design the heating elements may
"glow" into the dark as it were...when I was loading film in holders or tanks
the heater was turned off (and the glow-in-the-dark timer faces covered !)...
I eventually found a ceramic heater which gave off no glow and appeared to be
a bit more efficient (cheaper) than the old style hairdryer coil-fan style.
 Hope that helps. (BTW...a double or triple layer of insulation is wise,
too).

Cheers,
     Tom Crowe
     Thomas Crowe Studios-Photographic Arts
     "Lost in East Tennessee" (Bound for Southern California again)