RE: Heat is Neat

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 09/27/02-08:18:28 PM Z

On Fri, 27 Sep 2002, Eric Neilsen wrote:

> Jeff, When I lived up ion Taos, I used one room of my house as my
> darkroom studio. It had electric base board heat as well as a wood
> burning stove. The base board was not forced air and did a fine job but
> req1uired lots of money. The wood burning stove was fine, but was no
> good if I was making B&W prints or film developing. It was really not a
> problem. Dust was a hugh problem and not the lint dust of a home in
> Dallas, but the gritty dust of wind blown days of 5% humidity in winter.

I've got an oil-filled radiator in darkroom & others in hard-to-heat rooms
& never noticed electric bill spike, tho our electric bill is pretty
humongus so it might not show. The idea, however, is that the oil retains
heat, so the electricity can cycle on and off, so I'd guess it's more
economical. (I'd anyway worry about fan and/or flame near chemicals or
solvents.)

However, one problem I've had with the oil-filled is a peculiar system of
on-lights. There are two, one to show high heat, the other low -- and
neither lights when the heater is in off cycle. Thus, if I leave in a
tired, inattentive moment, I can forget the heater is on, and come back
possibly several days later to find it still cycling merrily away --

Mine are old, this may be corrected in later models, but something to
watch for.

J.