Re: TXT and Platinum Printing, was Re: demise of tri-x 8x10?

FotoDave@aol.com
Date: 09/29/02-08:40:37 PM Z

Clay,

I don't do Platinum printing, so I don't know about the self-masking effect,
but

> If the process were truly self
> masking, then the contrast of the resulting print should decrease with
> increasing amounts of exposure. In fact, the slope of the curve stays
> the same for a given sensitizer mix and only moves to the right when
> you plot the typical H and D curve.

I am not sure the above can tell whether self masking is in effect or not.
Given any H&D curve, increasing or decreasing exposure (within reasonable
limit) always shift the curve left or right regardless of self masking or
not.

The self masking effect can probably be assumed to be there if the shoulder
is long, but since we cannot easily design a procedure to make a print
without self-masking effect, I don't think there is an easy way test to
actually prove the presence or the lack of the effect, or is there?

Dave S