Re: TXT and Platinum Printing, was Re: demise of tri-x 8x10?

From: Carl Weese (cweese@earthlink.net)
Date: 09/30/02-07:27:17 AM Z

Judy,

Print-out Pt/Pd (Ware/Malde, Ziatype, original Pizighelli) has enormous
self masking with a clear drop in contrast as exposures are extended.
Low values almost completely "stall" while highlights keep getting
darker. I think the question raised here is how much self-masking is
evident in develop-out Pt/Pd, which shows only more or less a ghost
print-out image. My impression is, not very much since there is so
little print out. However, even in develop-out there is some observable
"stalling" of shadow density build-up with extended exposures, at least
compared to silver gelatin. Is this a self-masking effect from the small
amount of print-out density, or just an aspect of the material's overall
exposure response? I dunno.

---Carl