Re: Poly Toner lots here...

From: Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 09/30/02-09:28:48 PM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: <ARTHURWG@aol.com>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca>
Sent: Monday, September 30, 2002 9:32 AM
Subject: Re: Poly Toner lots here...

> <PRE>Hi Richard. I can't seem to find your Polytoner posts
on the sites you
> mentioned. Can you give it to us again, here? Thanks.
Arthur

  I have two variations. I don't any longer know the source
of the first, the second, actually two variations, comes
from the _Kodak Professional Handbook_ booklet on "Printing"
c.1953.

No.1
Combination Toner
Water 500.0 ml
Sodium Carbonate, anhydrous 160.0 grams
Kodak Brown Toner 320.0 ml
Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner 80.0 ml
Water to make 1.0 liter

 Dilute 1 part stock to 3 parts water for use.

>From the MSDS for Polytoner this is pretty close to the
packaged product.

No.2, Kodak Handbook Formulas

Hue No.1

Kodak Rapid Selenium toner 17.0 ml
Kodak Brown Toner 75.0 ml
Kodalk (Sodium Metaborate pentahydrate) 30.0 grams
Water to make 1.0 liter

Tone prints for 3 minutes at 70F (21C)
Capacity 80 8x10 prints per gallon
To replenish use Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner, diluted one
part toner to 5 parts water.
Add 30ml per 10 8x10 prints.
Capicity with replenishment: 150 8x10 prints per gallon.

Hue No.2
Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner 2.0 ml
Kodak Brown Toner 100.0 ml
Kodalk Balanced Alkali 8.0 grams
Water to make 1.0 liter

Tone prints for 7 minutes at 70F (21C)
Capacity 40 8x10 prints per gallon
Replenish with Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner 1 part toner to 20
parts water.
Add 30 ml of replenisher for each 10 8x10 prints toned.
 Capacity with replenishment: 150 8x10 prints per gallon.

Hue No.1 is described as "rich red-brown. Hue No.2 as "warm
brown".

  Kodak recommends developing in a warm tone developer. Hue
No.2 tends to bleach the prints a little. Kodak recommends
compensating by extending the development time a little
rather than by increasing exposure.
  The original recommendation was to develop papers like
Kodak Opal in Selectol for 2 minutes @ 68F for Hue No.1 and
for 2.5 minutes for Hue No.2. Selectol was the same as Kodak
D-52. Kodak Ektaflo, Type-2 developer, which is a liquid
concentrate version of the now discontinued Ektonol, should
work well with these toners.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA