Re: Genius??

From: Hamish Stewart (hamish@gumphoto.fsnet.co.uk)
Date: 09/24/02-07:20:28 PM Z

On 23/9/02 19:03, "Philippe Monnoyer" <philippe.monnoyer@skynet.be> wrote:

> Very interesting Joe !
> Well I thought it could be due to the tray indeed. I changed the tray for a
> quite bigger one but I still had the stripes. Now I have to admit that my
> trays were all grooved-bottom. Having the same constant stripes with
> significantly different trays would sound weird to me, but ... who knows....
>
> Aah ! Something else. The orientation of the stripes was constant, I think
> it didn't depend on the direction I put it in the tray ...
>
> On the other hand, about camera films made in the Eastern Europe, my bad
> feeling was also due to a main dealer in Germany, telling me he couldn't
> certify me the perfect quality of the films....
>
> Thank you for your interesting comment. Maybe GeniusFilm could be OK
> afterall. But I think someone else complained about the exact same stripes
> on this list. I don't remember who. I think I still won't buy it.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Philippe
>
>> Philippe,
>>
>> It has been my experience that "stripes" may appear on films using
> darkroom trays that have a ribbed or grooved bottom surface. I now use
> flat-bottomed trays for films and alt. prints and have not had a problem
> since I switched.
>>
>> Of course, it could just be poor quality control in manufacture as you
> suggest.
>>
>> Joe

>> Yes I tried The MACO Geniusfilm ! It was about one year ago.
>> After numerous tests, I constantly had strong stripes. I tried everything
> to avoid it but the film itself had a problem.
>> Philippe
>> Belgium

On the question of banding or stripes on lith film I recently experienced
this problem with Maco Genius film. Tray wise no change and same dev but
banding occurred with some but not all sheets which suggested a problem with
manufacture rather than processing or trays. Can't comment on Bergger films
which I have used in the past with no problems but perhaps they have changed
a few things.

Utimately it is these struggles with conventional materials that is fuelling
an exploration of digital negatives....

Hamish Stewart - Gum Bichromate Photographer - visit
<http://www.gumphoto.fsnet.co.uk>
for gum bichromate images, technical information and links to recommended
resources on alternative photographic processes.
mailto:<hamish@gumphoto.fsnet.co.uk>