Re: cyanotype exposure times

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 04/01/03-02:07:42 PM Z

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003, Christina Z. Anderson wrote:

> > You may run into trouble using such a freshly mixed emulsion -- I found it
> > tends to wash off, or require much more exposure, unless it has "ripened"
> > for a day. My exposures average 8 minutes -- the same as VDB & platinum.
> > Tho that's affected by the density of the negative, and the light source,
> > also the paper.
> > Judy
>
> This is interesting, Judy, (you must be using Ware's formula?) because
> traditional cyano, even mixed 2A:1B, was about 2 stops slower for me than
> Ware's cyanotype formula, and way slower than anything else I've been
> experimenting with. I have notes from Sandy King, too, that says in tests
> VDB was 2 stops faster than cyanotype--don't know if he mixed cyano 2:1 or
> 1:1 (Sandy?) but I assume 1A:1B. He has carbon, gum, and VDB as 2 stops
> faster than cyano, and kallitype as 1 stop faster than cyano. His tests
> corroborate with my experience.

Chris, all those numbers make my head spin... I can only say that the
exposures were not that different, but that I worked from a 21-step and
then measured the negative by densitometer -- that is, usually got the
exposure right first try without test strips, without formulas, without
math.

I generally made three 21-steps from the STANDARD cyanotype formula -- 1
part A, 1 part B, on whatever paper I was using. One was exposed 4
minutes, one 6 minutes, and one 8 minutes -- I wrote the step readings in
the margins, then compared with the readings of the negative I was
printing.

Then picked an exposure, which could of course be 5 minutes or 7 minutes
either, depending on the densities I was gearing to.

If your exposures are that different from mine -- who knows? Could be the
filtering effect of sunlight in the rocky mountains -- or your negatives,
different chemicals, different formulas, etc.... BUT...

....nobody has mentioned the different speeds of paper in cyano. Yesterday
filing something (still cleaning up) I opened an old folder of student
variables (and that's about the only way to find something around here --
by accident !).

Ali Manzo (no date) had done cyanotype, "Different Paper, all at 12
minutes." The first, on a "Carolina Drawing pad of 80 lb paper) was nicely
exposed with twelve (12 !) countable steps on the 21 step.

The second on Stonehenge (which is different today, tho not necessarily in
speed) showed almost no image and only 5 steps, tho almost same d-max.

The third on something called "Mohawk superfine 80 lb cover hi-finish
white" showed 5 EXTREMELY faint steps, the darkest of which was about like
step 12 on the Carolina, with only the faintest traces of image.

Hope I gave her an A.

Judy