Re: OT: Cleaning up in the darkroom

From: Jack Brubaker (jack@jackbrubaker.com)
Date: 04/01/03-05:17:15 PM Z

Judy wrote

> they renovated the old bakery, including removing and replacing the old
> yeast-lined tiles on the walls. She said the bread never tasted as good
> again.

In the middle ages when bread was the staple of life in Europe the bakers
did not need to breed yeast. The wooden bowls and counters always carried
enough yeast to respark the sourdough batch. I once recaptured a sourdough
that a friend had kept going for 30 years in Alaska (when I accidently
cleaned my batch of it into extinction) by just setting out a bowl of
potatoe water for it to land in. By the next day I had what seemed an
idintical batch. I wonder if my name Brubaker is an old Swiss reference to
those who baked with yeast (brewed) long ago.

A divergance but ralated to the basic problem of contamination...

Jack