Another Cyanotype question

From: Rauch, Shelley (rauch@yorkcounty.gov)
Date: 04/03/03-02:21:50 PM Z

My teacher cancelled class today, so unfortunately I couldn't ask her this question.

I looked at some of the cyanotypes my fellow students have produced. Without exception, the images look very flat. I almost want to say that they resemble something more like a batik or fabric print. There doesn't seem to be a full representation of tones in the images.

I was scurrying about on the internet today, just looking for any relevant cyanotype info that will help me out this weekend. I came across some galleries that showed cyanotypes. I was shocked to see that they look like... well, photographs, except in blue. This is what I saw: http://www.ephotozine.com/techniques/viewtechnique.cfm?recid=155 (some scrolling is required).

The work I saw earlier today looked *nothing* like this. Any opinions on what would give the results I described? And what do I need to produce something that does have a variety of tones?

Thanks,
Shelley