Re: Another Cyanotype question

From: Dave Rose (cactuscowboy@attbi.com)
Date: 04/03/03-03:15:51 PM Z

I use a cyanotype recipe from The Keepers of Light, by William Crawford.

Solution A
Water at 70degrees F - 100ml
Ferric Ammonium Citrate (green) - 20 grams

Solution B
Water at 70degrees F - 100ml
Potassium Ferricyanide - 8 grams

I use distilled water. Store the solutions in brown glass bottles. To use,
mix 1 part A and 1 part B.

This formula will produce crisp, finely detailed prints with tones ranging
from deep blue shadows to delicate highlights. Most of my negatives are
'normal' (print well on grade 2 B&W paper). I'm using Rives BFK paper,
although many other papers can be used for cyanotype with equally good
results.

What kind of negative are you using to make your prints? If your negatives
lack sufficient contrast or have a high film-base-plus-fog density, that may
be part of the problem. Generally, a negative that's 'normal' or
contrastier than normal will give good results with cyanotype.

Dave in Big Wonderful Wyoming