Re: Successful Gum Print

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 04/06/03-07:18:05 AM Z

WOW, Ed! You have come a long way since a straight black square! This is
beautiful. Gum is addictive, isn't it?
     How does your powdered pigment translate to teaspoons, do you know? I
suppose you just weighed it out and have 4/10 g in 50ml? And why did you do
the clear gum first? I've done that before, and then just to see actually
how much "stuff" is really laid down without the dichcromates influencing
it, I cleared it with just the one coat, and it is hardly an image. I was
wondering why people do this, if it is just only to lay down a coat of
hardened gelatin as a base, but if it is to prevent staining, I wonder how
much hardened gelatin is still in the highlights.
     BTW, now I just do the "dump and pour" method of am di, or pot di for
that matter: Whatever my am di is weight wise, I triple that in mls. As
long as there are crystals remaining in the bottom, it is a saturated 30%
solution. Very little measuring this way. So I always use am di at 30%.
And I mostly use am di, too :) contrary to other practitioners on the list.
BTW, Dave Rose, I did buy pot di, too, at your suggestion, and use both for
different things. I ordered sodium dichromate, also, coming in the mail
this week, to compare that side by side with the other two, and to *really*
see if it is saturated at 100% (or about 97% I think). We were always told
not to use it, it is deliquescent, but so what? It's always in water once
you mix it, for gosh sake.
    I mixed a tube of sepia this week, and it smells so horrible that I can
hardly stand using it. Does everyone else find this with sepia? Hey, I can
put up with the rotten egg odor of sulfides, but this is like dead animal.
     I have probably about 150 8x10 *test* prints now, and finally this week
I have begun doing *finals*. So I've *graduated* into grade school I
figure. Weighing 50 different tubes of pigment before and after emptying to
see how much pigment is actually in there, etc. etc., is fun to a point, but
really...
Chris