Re: Successful Gum Print

From: Ed Buffaloe (EdBuffaloe@UnblinkingEye.Com)
Date: 04/06/03-10:03:47 AM Z

I did an earlier image with 10% lampblack in gum arabic, but it left pigment
stain. In working over the print with a brush I also managed to smear
lampblack all over the white portions of the paper, and it wouldn't come
off. So I tried the clear coat of gum to act in place of a size--it seems
to prevent loose pigment from adhering to the white portions of the paper.
The clear coat is exposed without a negative. It doesn't necessarily
prevent staining, but I think it helps keep it down somewhat. I used a very
dilute potassium dichromate solution for the clear coat and cleared the
chromium oxide stain in a bath of dilute sodium bisulfite, plus a long wash.
I got zero dichromate stain on the pigment coat. I reduced the amount of
lampblack in the gum arabic to 8% in order to reduce pigment staining. The
blacks aren't quite as deep, but neither is the stain.

I don't know about teaspoons--maybe 1-1/2 teaspoons in 100 ml gum arabic?
But I found a big difference in stain between 8% and 10% lampblack, so I
think it is critical to measure accurately.

I'm wondering if it would help to reduce the amount of dichromate solution
in the mix? I started with 50/50 gum-pigment and dichromate, then went to
60/40. Maybe I should try 70/30 to reduce stain further?