Re: Thomas Duplex Sodium Vapor Safelight

Gumprint@aol.com
Date: 04/06/03-10:18:21 AM Z

In a message dated 4/5/2003 9:00:17 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
jefulton1@attbi.com writes:

> >Dear Group,
> >Is anyone using the Thomas Duplex safelight for Alternative processes?
> >I have a small darkroom, 7.5x11 feet, and I've gotten mixed information
> >about whether it is safe to use in this size room.
> >I would like to put mine to use.
> >Any comments.
> >Thanks in advance,
> >Don Bryant

I use a Thomas Duplex in a dedicated alt photo darkroom that is 8X10. With
the doors open on the second notch using the red filters I have had no
difficulty with Van Dyke, Gums or Cyanotype during processing. However, I do
not dry the emulsions in that room. I put the papers in a completely dark
room (or turn out the lights completely).

One more thing, my room is painted semi gloss white so there is a lot of
light being reflected (no spams here, I just take pitchers) but I still have
no trouble.

I do agree about the coin test for ANY process in any darkroom. One simple
test in the beginning of any new emulsion will save a lot of hours and head
scratching.

Carole