Re: Film Speed and Negative Development

From: Greg Schmitz (gws1@columbia.edu)
Date: 04/08/03-06:09:37 PM Z

Hi again:

I was almost tempted to say that this thread is off topic, but given
what the manufacturer's are doing to silver processes silver may soon
be a "post-factory" process and we will have to chase the digital
folks off to another list :*) (heheh - Hi Judy)

FWIW I have not used Plus-X for a while now but my recollection is that I
used to rate it somewhere around 32 (that's 2 stops off from what
Kodak suggested).

I used to run film tests similar to yours, using my camera and a white
board (and a small patch of cheese cloth for texture), but I gave that
method up many years ago. I found that it was not that accurate, was
time consuming and wasted lots of film. Now I simply contact a step
wedge under a filtered light source and run all of my development time
tests in one run. I can balance in a new film/developer combination
(N,N-,N++,etc. if you will) in 2-3 hours. It helps tremendously if
you have a meter that you can use to calibrate the light source that
you use to make your exposure since most of the manufacturers material
use lux/seconds (or some equivalent) for exposure values. After I
plot my curves I always run a confidence test using my camera to
verify my results.

Using a calibrated light source I have found that my curves are
surprising close to those of the manufactures, even when my "real"
film speeds are much lower. Indeed - I use their curves as a guide to
exposing my own. You might take a look at the published curve for the
film you are using and attempt to calculate the exposure required to
reach .10 above film base + fog and the exposure you used to obtain
the same - there is a good chance that the exposures will be very
similar. The ISO test for speed uses a much higher contrast curve
than what is normally used in the "real world."

Best -greg