Re: Mixing a light pigment for gum

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 04/14/03-08:07:32 AM Z

Lisa,
     Mix less pigment but keep your gum arabic ratio to dichromate still
high. In other words, as long as the gum keeps the solution viscous enough
you shouldn't have any problem. I was working with Quinacridone pink
yesterday at 3.5g pigment/12ml gum, then 1.75/12, and then .75g/12 and this
all 1:1 with am di upon exposure, and the higher strength one is so
overpoweringly magenta (good for CMYK) but the least is baby butt pink and
very pretty. That was one thing I found good. The actual thing I was
testing was different acrylic sizings with this pigment which tends to be
stainy, and that was a bust--either the sizing was too much and I could
brush the gum right off, or it was too little and the gum stained in grain
in the bumps of the paper, or the 2 coats of 1:10 was so uneven that I got
spotty leprous naked bodies. (I tested 50/50 matte medium, 1/10 matte
medium 1 coat, and 1/10 matte medium 2 coats) Back to the drawing board.
Chris