Mixing a light pigment for gum

From: Lisa Reddig (lisa@julianrichards.com)
Date: 04/14/03-07:54:10 AM Z

Hello,

I am trying to figure out how to make a really pale/light layer of color on
a gum. As everyone has been saying, using too little pigment to gum ratio
causes stain, which I have experienced. Is there some white or clear (?)
pigment that can be mixed with a color to make it paler, and yet still print
properly.

I have added a color called "Whiting", it doesn't make it lighter, it makes
it more opaque, which actually makes it darker because less light comes
through from underneath it, and so therefore it looks darker.

I can't expose less, because that causes it to wash out of less exposed
areas. I want an overall coverage, only really light.

Thanks
Lisa