Re: Mixing a light pigment for gum

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 04/14/03-01:39:19 AM Z

Lisa Reddig wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to figure out how to make a really pale/light layer of color on
> a gum. As everyone has been saying, using too little pigment to gum ratio
> causes stain

Hi Lisa,
I for one have never said this, or observed it.

Is there some white or clear (?)
> pigment that can be mixed with a color to make it paler, and yet still print
> properly.

Yes, it's called gum arabic, not to put too fine a point on it, I hope.
You should be able to print fine with very small amounts of pigment in
relation to gum, without any staining problem. I've deliberately
printed images so pale, even with three coats of gum to provide depth
and definition, that they appear just breathed onto the paper. No stain,
but very little pigment. It works fine, trust me.

Katharine Thayer