Re: Acrylic size (was Mixing a light pigment for gum)

From: Jack Brubaker (jack@jackbrubaker.com)
Date: 04/16/03-05:48:24 PM Z

Dave,

Thanks for the info. I have by carefull application had such good luck with
one coat that I will try that with new materials. But I will try your way. I
brush on enough size at 1:1 dilution to just cover the paper and then use a
dry (or nearly dry) four inch brush to sweep gently over the paper. I turn
the paper 90 degrees between each set of strokes that cover the whole area.
working with strong light and looking at the reflection on the paper I sweep
off the paper onto clean news print under it so that any excess size is
swept away and is drawn off the brush tip by the news print. I brush until
the paper no longer has any glossy areas. If there is high humidity slowing
the drying I set the paper aside and start a second sheet and then come back
to the first to brush it till matte looking. This not allowing the size to
dry with any glossy areas lets me use a strong size that hold up through a
dozon or more coats of gum. It takes less time to do than discribe it and it
drys quickly. I use the same brushing method for applying gum solutions.