Re: Mixing a light pigment for gum

From: Dave Rose (cactuscowboy@attbi.com)
Date: 04/16/03-07:45:08 PM Z

Dear Jack:

I've had actual experience with one pigment in particular that contradicts
your theory.

Gum printing with Sennelier Mars Black dry pigment (iron oxide), resulted in
very heavy non-image area staining at 1g pigment/12ml gum. When I ground
the same pigment/gum mixture in a mortar & pestle and then printed, the
staining was dramatically reduced.

Another curious effect with Sennelier Mars Black - the staining was heavy in
non-exposed border areas on the test print while steps 9-14 on the Kodak
Control Scale T-14 cleared nicely.

Dave in Wyoming