Re: Mixing a light pigment for gum

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 04/19/03-12:07:25 AM Z

> > From: Dave Rose <cactuscowboy@attbi.com>
> > Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 19:45:08 -0600
> > To: alt-photo-process-l@skyway.usask.ca
> > Subject: Re: Mixing a light pigment for gum
> >

> > Another curious effect with Sennelier Mars Black - the staining was heavy in
> > non-exposed border areas on the test print while steps 9-14 on the Kodak
> > Control Scale T-14 cleared nicely.

But after step 14 how was the staining? I found with some brands of paint
(especially Liquitex watercolor, now discontinued, but certain colors in
other brands) a reverse ladder, that is, no staining after the immediate
highlights, then progressively more staining until it made a step tablet
in reverse. (I showed one of these in P-F #3, page 38, using WN
ultramarine.) Mike Ware theorized that it was the decreased viscosity as
exposure went from slight to nil. Why only certain brands? Obviously,
different ingredients, and/or different manufacture.

J.