Re: Mixing a light pigment for gum

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 04/22/03-06:15:45 AM Z

Dave Rose wrote:

> My favorites? Umbers, siennas, ochres, phthalo blues & greens,
> quinacridone, cadmium, cobalt, ivory and carbon blacks.

 I think Dave was the only one who answered Christina's question about
what are people's favorite colors, so thought I'd throw mine in. My
answers are so different from Dave's that it really illustrates how gum
can be adapted to different aesthetic preferences.

One of the things that led me to gum was that I wanted to print in color
but I really abhor the oversaturated colors of most modern color
printing. I work in landscape, and where I live there aren't bright
colors in nature; everything is greyed and tonally flat, and maybe that
explains why bright colors or very much contrast seem unnatural and hurt
my eyes. But at any rate, that's the way it is for me.

Since I dislike intense, "unnatural" colors, I dislike the pthalos,
either blue or green, and even moreso the cadmiums, either yellow or
red, since they are not only very intense and unnatural in hue but also
opaque, and I don't like opaque pigments. The primaries I use for
tricolor printing are deeper and a bit less saturated than the colors
usually recommended. My yellow is PY110, an isoindoline with a
gamboge-like hue (now no longer available, I'm told, but I've got enough
to last the rest of my printing career); my red is PR 175, a deep
scarlet; and my blues are either ultramarine or indanthrone. These
colors aren't precisely the cyan, yellow, magenta of commercial
printing inks, but that's not a concern to me because I'm not in the
commercial printing business; the concerns of that industry aren't my
concerns. I also use the umbers and the siennas, but not ochres because
of the opacity, and ivory and lamp black, and endlessly varying mixtures
of any of the above.

I've been pondering lately about the differences in the colors I use for
painting vs the colors I use for gum printing. As in gum printing, I
don't use pthalos or cadmiums, but I do use some of the quinacridones:
crimson, violet, and gold. One of my favorite colors for painting is
quinacridone gold (PO 49) and it surprises me to realize that I've never
used it in gum printing. It's a great color, but there's no point in
getting to know it, since it's not being made any more and when
manufacturers use up what they've got in stock, that's the end of it,
there ain't no more. I'm rambling,
kt