Re: Platinum Heresy, was Re: Satista

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 04/27/03-09:47:14 AM Z

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003, Sandy King wrote:

> Peter,
>
> Jumping Jupiter!!! You would classify all of the iron oxalate
> processes together? Including Pt/Pd?
>
> And if so, what must the Pt/Pd devotees think of lumping together
> the lowly kallitype with the elegant, precious and highly exalted
> Pt/Pd? Hard to imagine the consternation that your remarks must have
> caused among those folks.

For the record -- when I was trying to figure out how to print kallitype,
about the year of the ark, the best (almost the *only* really useful)
information I found came from Bostick & Sullivan. They put out a
periodical, name of which I forget, but still somewhere in my file (the
bottom layers of which have now turned to anthracite) with the line
marked, to the effect that "kallitype is just like platinum except done
with silver nitrate instead of...." etc. etc.

Someone had also done a thesis about printing platinum which B&S also
distributed. Those two together were far better, IMO, than the
supposedly "definitive" book on kallitype, by nameless.

In any event, my mother used to tell me that confident pople don't get
insulted so easily.

cheerio,

Judy